Thursday, December 1, 2011

Happy December!

IMG_8172

And so the chaos begins. The December Daily (DD) chaos that is. I can't believe that it's already December.

I decided that this year I would make a little list of resolutions for myself before beginning my December Daily. You see, last year I really struggled with the album itself. I made my album before Ali posted hers and about 7 days into December I decided I didn't like the format I made and couldn't look at it any longer. So, I redid my book. That of course sent me off track with the documenting part. So, I literally did not finish the book until this past November. I only did 25 days instead of my usual 31. The list goes on. Needless to say it was not the process that I enjoy usually in December.

So, going on 5 years of DD's this year I have a few mental reminders and resolutions for myself for DD 2011.

1. Just go with it. Don't worry about if it fits the colors in the photo. Don't worry about if it's a double page layout and there's only a small story. Just go with it.

2. But don't be afraid to change it to fit the story. I'm the worst at this. I have a hard time moving things and changing them around but I'm giving myself permission this year to do this.

3. Tell one story everyday. This is not a 'week in the life' project. You don't have to document every detail because let's face it-most of those will end up on scrapbook pages anyway.

4. Try really really hard to do the page on the day of the story. With the craziness that is my life right now-including a full move of my scrap cave to our new house-I know that this might be a tough resolution but I'm going for it anyways.

5. Write stuff down. I'm awesome at taking pics with my instaz, iphone and DSLR but I'm not so good with the tiny details of a story. I want to make a habit of jotting that good stuff down when it happens in my notebook.

6. Use different media. Get out the instax, iphone, hipstamatic, etc. and play with it.

7. Have fun with it.
Remember that this is supposed to be fun-not stressful. If it becomes that take a step away from it and just wait until the right moment returns to get back to it.

Here's to a rockin' December Daily. Are you documenting? I'd love for you to link you're progress to me here in the blog comments.

xoxo
K

5 comments:

  1. I love your DD cover - it turned out awesome! Have fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your advice, this will be my first DD and I am unsure of which direction mine will take. Thanks for the tips, I want to make this a fun process, not a stressful one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA~! Look at that album cover - awesome! Looks like you're ready to GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your guidelines - I think I might take them to heart. This is my first year and I am struggling on Day One. I need to up the fun!!

    ReplyDelete