Saturday, November 13, 2010

A New Sewing Project

So last weekend, Sunday evening to be exact, I had a free hour to myself before going to bed. I needed a little creative release after spending the day bogged down in academia. So I completed a project that has been on my list for ages. I made a cover for my camera strap and it's just lovely. I tried to take some pictures of the process because I didn't follow any tutorials or instructions, just made it up as I went. Here's how I did it:

1. tools of the trade.


2. Fabric choices.


3. After cutting the pieces into large squares (2.5 times the width of the strap & as long as you want) I sewed them together.


4. Using the strap, I folded the fabric over the strap wrong side out. Then pinned it to show how wide I wanted to make the little 'tube'.


5. I pulled the strap through the tube so it stood alone and then sewed it together.

Then I realized I had no way to turning it right side out. So my engineer husband fashioned a contraption with a pen, a piece of embroidery floss and a safety pin and I pulled that sucker right through. It worked like a charm. Then I just slipped it onto my strap and sewed the edges to the strap itself. I can take it off and change it by just tearing out a few stitches.

The final product is lovely and soft but you'll have to take my word for it because I don't have a good photo of it to show you. Oh and M is really happy he gets to look so girly when taking photos now with *Charlie.


*Charlie is the camera. I have a strange love of naming inanimate objects. I recently bought a carry on suitcase. her name is Ramona.

P.S: December Daily photos coming tomorrow!

P.P.S: Tonight is reveal night at Studio Calico for their December kits. Check it out if you have a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment