Monday, October 21, 2013

Week In The Life: The Album

The Paperie took part in Ali Edwards' Week in The Life as a community this year and if you were involved you may have joined us on September 28th for a day-long crop to complete your album. I hope that the week-long workshop was a good one and that you've been able to complete your album. If not, there's always time at the upcoming Fall retreat next month.

Mine is finished and I thought I would share it today.

I kept it simple. I stuck with a formula which made it easy for me to complete it all in a timely manner.

So here's how it shaped up-

IMG_4496

I used a Basic Grey album for this project. Specifically the Hipster line. I liked the wood grain chipboard album that it came in but jazzed it up with some ink and a few Mr. Huey white tap-tap-taps of speckled mister.

IMG_4497

My opening page is a trimmed page that came with the album. I liked the numbers at the bottom and used the '7' to identify my days. I also love and adore those Avery Elle number stamps that I used for the '2013'. They are available at The Paperie if you'd like to pick up a set. They are the bomb.

IMG_4498

My formula included a large 6 by 8 photo but I had a dilemma- the page protectors for said photo are obviously much larger. Yes, those photos are 6 by 8. So I added a 1" piece of vellum at the bottom of each of the full page protectors and sewed it into the page protector with white twine. I added the day and date as well to each vellum piece, sticking it on the outside of the page protector. I also added a flag and a badge to each main photo.

IMG_4499

The next page was a combination of instagram photos. and one pocket included more of that SC vellum that I love dearly, topped with a little embellishment. For my notes page I took the info that I typed up on my phone each day using the Evernote app and put them in a 6 by 8 document in photoshop and just added a brush, minimizing the opacity. I added a badge to that too and of course the vellum is at the bottom of that page as well.

IMG_4501

Each day I tried to take some selfie shots with both my DSLR & the timercam app on my phone. They were life saving since M was out of town from Tuesday onwards throughout the week.

IMG_4502

I love that I got some shots of my parents in this week's project. I spent a lot of time there while M was away.

IMG_4503

I also have the greatest husband ever because he sent me shots of his work trip to include in my project. He's pretty much the best.

IMG_4504

Because I had some white space at the bottom of each of my weekdays-due to not taking notes as diligently as the week went on-I added some pattern paper from the pp that came with the binder album. This way it all coordinates with the look I was aiming for.

IMG_4505

Another repeated element that I discovered I loved was stamping a sentiment- and sometimes embossing- on the large photo. This is one of my favs for the week-I love a good reflection photo.

IMG_4506

It was also fun finding little embellishments to go on each vellum piece. It was like a little treasure hunt through some of my fav things for each page.

IMG_4507

Yes. That is me with my tongue stuck out-like a 3 year old- concentrating on keeping the caramel in the dish for Taffety cookies I made that morning.

IMG_4508

My dog likes to sleep. Have you noticed?

IMG_4509

Something else that I did to create a sense of cohesiveness in this album was use the same tones in my photos. I used some retouching edits by Pioneer Woman for them and love how they turned out.

IMG_4510

Here and there I also added a few embellishments to the little instagram pics as well like the 'Let's Go' wood veneer.

IMG_4511

I also added the initial for each day of the bottom right hand corner instagram photo on each page as well. Those letters are so cool.

IMG_4512

Can you tell that as the week went on my journaling became a little lax? Lol.

IMG_4513

And that's where it ended-on a little quote by Ali Edwards using some Technique Tuesday stamps & a few cork arrows from SC.

I loved this project. I will def do it again. I'm not sure I'd use another BG album though. I was disappointed with the page protectors. The ones that came with the album were cheap and flimsy. However, the ones I bought in a separate package were of much thicker, better quality. Strange. The other thing that bothered me was that the large page protector were huge-not even remotely close to 6 by 8 and it can be difficult to find a printer that prints much bigger than that without a lot of tinkering and fooling around.

So there you have it. Week in the Life for Fall 2013. Did you do a WITL album this year? I'd love to see it-leave me a link in the comments if it's online!

xoxo
K




1 comment:

  1. love love love it! I'm hoping to put finishing touches on mine this week! Can't wait to see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete